March 31, 2015

The "…" Challenge.

Last weekend I had the good fortune to attend Orly Amor's Public Speaking Bootcamp. The weekend was filled with laughter, fun, and enough great information on becoming a paid speaker to fit a college level course.

I learned so much from the great speakers and presenters Orly brought in, but one speaker made a great impact on me. Mark E Sackett talked about a bunch of things but the one that stood out to me was his "…" challenge to us.

We all have things we want to do. We all have our bucket list. We all have those dreams where we say, "Someday I will …" The problem with the road to Someday is that it leads to the town of Nowhere. Life is too short to wait for Someday. Follow your dreams today!

"But I can't do it today," I can hear you saying. "I've got a full time job." Or maybe you think you don't have the time, or money, or education to follow your "…" Maybe you don't know where to start?

That's easy to answer. Start right where you are. Start right now! Do you have 15 minutes a day to invest in yourself and your "…"? Could you find 15 minutes a day if it meant fulfilling your dreams and changing your life?

That was the challenge Mark gave to all of us in the Bootcamp and it's the challenge I am giving you. For the next 30 days, take just 15 minutes a day and dedicate it to your "…" Read a book that will give you the skills. Have a cup of coffee with someone who may be able to help you. Watch a training video. Start a business plan. Hell, start a blog! Do you want to write a book? Then write for just 15 minutes a day. Whatever your "…" dream is commit to spending 15 minutes a day on achieving it.

What you will find as the days turn into weeks is that you will be probably spending more than just 15 minutes a day on your "…" goal. And you find you have built momentum towards it's achievement. It will no longer be "Someday I will …" It will be "Next week" or "Next month" or "Tomorrow I will." Who knows, it may even be "Yesterday, I did!"

So who is with me? Let's take 30 days to dedicate to our "…" I'd love to hear what your "…" is and how you are pursuing it.

If you want to learn more about Orly Amor and The Global Mentoring Center, you may visit her webpage. And be sure to visit Mark's webpage as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment