September 12, 2014

Gaining Clarity

One of the questions I always hear from my clients and in my workshops is, "How do I get really clear what I want? How do I gain clarity on my goals?"

It's a good question. Most people have a general idea on what they want. They say, "I want more money" or "I want a new job" or "I want a boyfriend/girlfriend" but they don't have a specific and clear picture of what that means to them.

Your brain is a GPS system. You tell it where to go, and it goes there. The more specific you are, the clearer the picture you paint for your brain the quicker you will get what you desire. So instead of saying, "I want more money" say "I want to have a million dollars in the bank." Instead of saying, "I want a new job" say "I want to work for a Fortune 500 company as an accounts executive for their New Business division." Don't say, "I want a boyfriend/girlfriend." Say, "I want to date someone who is blonde, between the ages of 25 and 34, who has a professional job, and loves The Beatles."

But how do you know exactly what you want? How do you gain clarity of mind?

  1. Sleep Habits. We are all told that we need to get eight hours of sleep to function optimally. How many of get that? I don't. I average around six hours a night. The good news is that according to The National Sleep Foundation there is no "magic number" for the "perfect rest." Some people function well on five hours of sleep. Some people need ten hours. The more important habit to cultivate is consistency. Always go to sleep at eleven and wake up at six. Always get the rest your body and mind needs. Do not yo-yo on your sleep habits. Getting four hours of sleep one night and seven hours the next is what will fatigue your body and clutter your mind.
  2. Meditate. According to the Mayo Clinic some of the benefits of meditation is stress reduction, being in the present moment, and reducing negative emotions. The great thing is these benefits stay with you long after your meditation session is over. In other words, meditation helps you declutter your mind which will help you focus your intent and energy so you can gain clarity on your goals.
  3. Accountability. Take 100% full responsibility for your life. We create our reality by our thoughts and actions. We are the driving force in our lives. We can not control the events in our life, but we can control how we feel about them and the meanings we give to them. In this way we are exercising our Personal Power. Stop waiting for others to paint a clear picture for you. You are the artist and your life is the canvas. Start painting!
  4. Write it down! Take some time and create the clarity in words. There is power in words. Write down your general goal and then write down everything about the goal. Describe your goal in specific detail. Years ago I did the same exercise when I was looking for a girlfriend. I wrote page after page of the description of my perfect girlfriend. I wrote down how she would look, behave, the values she would have, the job she does. I wore down everything she was interested in and the types of books she read. I described her sexual appetite. (Yes, i mean you should write down everything about your goal to gain clarity. Leave no rock unturned). Six months later I met a girl who fit this description to a tee and two years after that she became my wife.
The key to gaining what you want in life is to gain clarity on what you want. Learn to be clear and specific in all your communications with yourself and with others. Miraculous changes and manifestations will occur when you get clear on what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment